My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Just when you think everything is going good...


Just when you think everything is going well with the fish, something happens to upset the apple cart. This morning I went to the basement to feed the inside fish and check on their well being and was shocked to see my brand new Kujaku lying dead at the bottom of the tank! Gosh dang it anyway! Now what the heck happened? I rush to do a quick water quality check. At least the ammonia and nitrite levels are ok, so what's going on? I pulled him out to get a closer look and can see an obvious ulcer on his tail, but not really something that should have killed him. He was up and eating just last night and swimming around ok as far as I could see. His gills were pale, but that could have happened from him dieing. They weren't chewed up or looking bad otherwise. Coloration was good, no bloating, no obvious signs of trouble other than the ulcer on his tail. So since I had to get going to work, I left it at that and heaved him out into the snowbank by the porch. So, now what? The rest of the fish are definitely on "Watch" now. I have 3 very small fish which I would expect to see problems with first if this was something catchy. Any signs of problems at all and I'll be scraping and scoping for parasites. May do it anyway if I can get one caught. I'll do a big water change tonight, just for the heck of it and help to lower any possibility of bacteria build up in the water. I'm at work and I'll be worried sick for the other fish all day. Hopefully its an isolated thing and everyone else will be fine. Ulcers usually indicate parasites, so I'm anxious. The Kujaku is one of the 5 new fish I recently added to my collection. They were treated in the QT tank for parasites, but you just never know. I'll keep you informed. Dang it, dang it, dang it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment