My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Thursday, December 10, 2009

All I want for xmas is a...generator??

The temperature indicator at the bottom of my computer is "flashing" 4 below today. It never flashes! Harry, the avid sportsman and ice-fisherman would say "We're making ice today", in excited enthusiasm. The fish under the ice, I'm sure are not sharing his exuberance. Guess we all survived the blizzard yesterday. Losing power was my main concern not the snow and missing of work. Kind of got me thinking that maybe I should be asking for a generator for xmas. Not for the same reason most people might want one, like keeping their refrigerators or furnaces running, but to keep the aerators and filter going in the basement pond. My upstairs aquarium accidently got unpluged (maybe for a couple of hours) a month or so ago and by the time I noticed it all the fish were already on the bottom like so many sinking submarines. An awful site. I turned everything back on and muraculously only lost one ciclid. It did prompt me however to give away a dozen or more of the fish. But, the event does make one realize how quickly a body of water can loose all its
O2 if its overstocked. The outdoor pond is completely drifted in. The floating light is no where to be seen, and its a huge tire innertube! I'm hoping its still on, but its entirely too cold to even go out there and dig it out to see. Harry is wonderful about doing pond chores for me, but even I don't have the nerve to ask him to go and dig it out. Yet, anyway. Maybe by the weekend. I'm not worried about it being off, but don't want to go too long either. I know the air is on so that eases the unknown tension. The sun is shining bright this afternoon but is generating little or no heat. The phone is quiet here at work as winter sets in on the roofing business, too. Like my fish under all the snow and ice, our business quiets down this time of the year too. That would be a bad thing other than it gives me more time to surf the net and read all the pond and koi forums. And xmas shopping, there's always that this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment