My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Monday, December 14, 2009

Antifreeze for the pond?


The weekend was actually pretty nice. Temps have at least held to about freezing. I took advantage of the warmer Sunday to put on my boots and trudge out to the pond in the snow to check things out. The aerator has kept a hole open despite the colder temps and my homemade innertube heater is doing a good job of keeping an additional hole open too. I added some of my new "Artic bacteria" that I'm trying. It's blue and looks like antifreeze to me, so that's what I've been calling it. The fish were still lined up at the gate I put at the creek, so I took the net and gently tried to persuade them to move out of this shallow area and into the depths of the main pond, where I believe it will actually be warmer. I then dropped an additional air stone in this area, just under the innertube in hopes that if they persist in staying in this area, then at least there will be additional air there.
We finished the day by building a snowman to help watch over the ponds and gardens. Kind of like a scarecrow watches over the vegetable gardens in the summer. The snow is really great for packing and it's hard not to feel like a kid again and not prompt a snow ball fight or two. Hard to believe Christmas is only a couple weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment