My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Drip through system


Attached is a picture of a first application of my new drip through water changes. What I did was simply take a gardeners drip kit but instead of running lines to all my pots, I compressed all the emitters to a tree like connection and turned on the water. Please make note that you can only do this if you have well water. You can not do this with city water, unless you have some sort of whole house filter that takes out the chlorine and chloramines. There are a total of 10 emitters putting out a total of 15 gallons of water an hour or 360 gallons a day or 2520 gallons a week which is over 25% water change for my ponds of 10,000 gallons total. So with no pumping out at all I get a good water change out every week. I still have to work out the over flow end. I have to cut off a pipe in my filter house which will allow the pond to overflow into the pit where it can be pumped out by a sump pump. I already use a drip through on my basement ponds during the winter and love it. So, am hoping I'll feel the same about this process also. I bought this small drip kit at Menards for about 20.00 I think. It wasn't much. I do plan on getting a black Shepard's hook to hang it all from to help clean up the look and may even try to find a better way to hide it. Maybe some kind of statuary or spilling leaf or overflowing pot. Hummm what can I come up with????

No comments:

Post a Comment