My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just when you think everything is going good....

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've had a chance to post. Extra busy here at work with all the rain and summer always is so buys for me. And, when everything is going well in the pond, there seems to be not much to talk about. However today, unfortunately I have stuff to say, which means for some reason all He** has broke loose in the ponds. The pond itself has been looking wonderful...water has been crystal clear and parameters have all been good. The fish did a major spawn on May 26th, which left a mess of the water as usual, but through water changes, I think we've got that mess straightened out. It left a lot of the females with missing scales, though. I've been watching these guys for any signs of ulcers developing. After the spawn I added some Superverm for flukes. As my water reaches 70 degrees, I treat for flukes every spring. Also, we've been noticing the fish seem a little lack luster, some of the blacks are fading as well as some of the reds. The fish eat as normal, but not as aggressive as normal and just seemed a little off. Very, very suttle signs. You may not notice if you don't watch your fish a lot. Then, since the spawn, as I watch the fish, I noticed a couple little white pimples on the fins of a the large Becco. So I decided to do a prophylactic dose for anchor worms. Now I'm looking at my fish with eagle eyes and I notice that almost all the fish in the bottom pond have some sort of little issue. Again easily overlooked if you're not careful to take the time and look. Little red spots, a small area of raised scales, a touch of fin rot. All indications of a potential major ulcer breakout. I've seen it happen, and the thought of it scares me to death. In the mean time, my fish chose to spawn again. So again the males are chasing the females, and again they are loosing yet more scales in the process. We already decided, next year, the ponds will be sorted by sex if possible. I'm now lying awake at 4:30 worried about my fish. Isn't that just crazy? So the only bugs I haven't zapped are the micro minis, so now I'm doing a 3 day dose of Proform C. I'm hoping the malichite green will also help the bacteria count in the pond. In the mean time, the skimmer pump decided to quit, so last night, I'm out there switching that out because Harry is out of town all week. So, the pond is again going crazy, despite the water quality. I've also started using some Med-xzyme in the water to help control the bacteria count. So, now I'm just plain worrying. I feel like I'm just dumping stuff in the water. I hate acting "after the fact" . I hate not doing anything, too. The fish are all still eating and I watch carefully for anyone to start isolating themselves. I watch carefully and hope nothing breaks out into full blown sores. But, a couple don't look so good. Fortunately the water is clear so I can see them and unlike the upper pond fish, that you can't even get a "one second' look at, these fish generally will swim around you long enough to look at them. I'm not sure what shape the fish in the upper pond are in. With water lilies covering half the pond and them being so flighty, you bearly get a glance at them to know they are still in there. Oh and in the whole mess are the new fish, which were added last Saturday, before I notice all this going on and finally decided that I did have a problem. That's a whole nether post. So I'll keep you informed on the condition of my koi and what I'm doing, for better or worse. We'll all learn from my mistakes.... again

No comments:

Post a Comment