My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Over reacting????

OK, I'm back after a week of koi watching. Maybe I'm over reacting, or maybe I just caught things early enough that the fish healed themselves. Never-the-less, I think they are looking better. I actually ran the whole pond through a series of 3 days in a row, Terminex treatment. Terminex is a product like Proform C only cheaper. I dosed the pond and did partial water treatments every day for 3 days straight. The only side effect was I did see my new catfish come floating to the top. Not sure the cause, but really think they were just too small to be added to the pond. I may retry to add the albino cat, but will put them in the inside aquarium until they have a little age and size on them. I have not seen the hi-fin sharks lately, either. But they are extremely hard to see in the pond. They match the bottom of the pond in color so closely that you really can only spot them in the sunshine. I haven't seen them floating either, so that's a good sign. What I have seen is multiple small babies! I normally have no babies. This year we are trying to at least keep them in the smaller upper pond where they won't get eaten by a pump. Heaven knows I certainly don't need any more fish, but it's always kind of fun to see what colors you come up with from a flock spawn. The other fish, I think are looking better. Most of the little red spots seemed to have disappeared. I have again started re dosing the pond with Med zyme to help cut down those pesky aromonas and psuedomonas bacteria. (the ones that like to chew at the fins and open sores. ) And now that the fish are looking better, I again dosed for anchor worms. If you remember when this all started I said I saw a couple little pimple like things on some of the koi's fins. These are usually anchor worms. After, I get this done, I should be back to normal. I hope! Does this sound like a lot of dosing???? Well, it is! And, I hate it... Just to clear the air of what I usually do to my pond, This is my regime. In early spring, (after ice out and no more winter weather is predicted) I will salt my ponds to 3% just to help the fish get through the every other day temperature changes and to help them slime up a little to help them fight any bugs that may be in the pond and it's too cold to treat for. I only hold the 3% for a month at the most, before I start reducing it back out through water changes. As the water warms, I begin to add Mirco lift and a barley extra with peat to begin adding good bacteria to the pond and help with string algae control. I also begin adding the med zyme and koi clay. My UVs go on as well. In late Spring, I will prophylactically treat for parasites. I do this with a Terminix and Superverm treatment. After, these treatments that's all I do. I generally sit back and enjoy the pond. I do repeat treatments of Microlift, barley extract, koi clay, and med zyme as directed. As the summer drags on, I get lazy and even stop adding some of those things as the pond begins to cycle and the need seems to be less. This is the first year I've used both the Barley extract and Koi clay. And, I must admit, I do think I see a difference. This is the first year we have seen absolutely no green water and even before the water always seemed a little turbid. I think the addition of Koi clay has really made those particles stick together and for the first time in a long time the water is crystal clear. Whether its the combination of these two products or what, I'm not sure, but seems to be a working combo. Harry is happy too. I'm hoping the addition of Koi clay will help the fish colors too. Time will tell. I've been dusting the food with it as well. Suppose to be really good for the fish. So, again, the pond is looking good and more importantly the fish look better to me, too. Just got to work on their colors now. Not that bright beni, I'd like to see. You buy for white, feed for red, and pray for black.
I've also started a new "drip through system" on the outside ponds, which I'll talk about in my next post, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment