My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's more than a pond











Which came first the pond or the gardens? Well for me it was the ponds. The gardens came as a way to naturalize the ponds to the yard. Now? Well the gardens are out of control. They consume nearly every inch of the yard. They've been in for several years now, so they are becoming overgrown and less formal. And because I like all flowers, they've kind of lost any theme I may have been trying to create. Over the years, I've kind of taken out more and more of the kichy things that I add for interest, statues and the like. My husband hates the storage they require in the all ready too small garage through the winter months, too. I do enjoy the flowers, but I'm out there every available evening trimming out the spent flowers and pulling weeds. The ponds are really the least work compared to the gardens. Water changes and filter flushing are about all it needs this time of the year.(And, Harry will help me with the ponds, not so with the gardens) My walnut tree has already begun to drop leaves and walnuts! The leaves produce tannin in my pond causing it to take on a brown color. I have a love/hate relationship with this tree. I hate what it does to my pond. It drops seedlings in the spring, it's the last to put on leaves too. In the fall its the first to drops leaves, walnuts, and then each leaf stick. So talk about messy! But, this walnut is one of the largest walnut trees in the whole state of Iowa! It shades nearly my whole yard and pond! In the past couple years its shown signs of dying. It is no where near as full as it used to be. I'd cry if we lost it. Would change my entire garden from shade to sun.




Last night I was out taking pictures again in the yard. Flowers, fish, and bugs. All are plentiful this time of the year. Mosquitoes too! I don't even venture out without first spraying down.




The fish are eating like crazy and we're feeding them like crazy too. I think I can actually see them growing. Funny how you think they are small and then one day you go out there and realize they grew a couple inches overnight! And then a panic sets in that you're really going to have to get rid of some! The pond is not big enough for 30 full grown fish! And winter is coming! Dang it, dang it, dang it.

1 comment:

  1. wow what beautiful pond you have in fact i am felling unlucky because i am not there its true that your pond is relaxing place.

    ReplyDelete