My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fish problems...not mine this time

Thought today I'd post about a few recent fish calls I've received. A few weeks back I went to look at a 6 inch koi that was displaying some fin rot and an ulcer on it's side. The WQ seemed to be ok as well as the remainder of the fish in the 300 gal. tank. We put the guy to sleep and did a scrape to look for parasites. I found a few tricodina, but not a big outbreak or anything. We cleaned and dressed the wound, woke the fish back up, and returned him to the tank. I had some parasitic with me that was donated to the club and asked the PO to dose his ponds. He was about to turn them loose to the larger pond, but I asked him to continue to hold them in the smaller tank till we were sure everything was ok. Also, had a phone call from a local nursery who had a customer (who I had worked with one of his fish before) but, he was wondering at what level of salt his pond should be at? I replied "none" and if he was one of those koi owners who like salt in their ponds, then my suggestion was .01% (very little). While I do use a LOW dose of salt in my ponds in both "late" spring and fall, I always take it back out through water changes during the summer and "especially" through the winter months. Unless you have a nitrite problem or your fish are showing winter stress problems (in the spring) , there really should be no need for salt in your ponds. .03% salt in the early spring, before the bacteria has kicked in to help with the nitrites and to knock back any parasites that also come alive before fish have a chance to recoup their immune systems after being under the ice can be beneficial. These are considered low dose therapeutic levels.
Also, had a phone call for a koi owner who notice a small pimple like thing on a koi's mouth. Now, this could be anchor worm or an injury of sorts. After discussing it for awhile, we decided to just watch. If it's an isolated injury, the fish may very well heal on it's own. If we see more spots on other fish or the affected fish's spot starts to get red or worsen, then we'll pull him out and take a closer look. We don't just want to start treating for something, without trying to verify it.
My fish at home seem to be doing ok again. I thought all my babies had died, but again last night we saw a dozen very small dark fish. Since they are small and dark, they are very hard to see against the black background of the pond. I thought my addition of ProForm C to the ponds had perhaps killed the babies. But there are a few in there, at least till the pumps grind them up and spit them out. Hide little guys, hide...

1 comment:

  1. Since the basic purpose of internet is to share the knowledge and to communicate with each other, I can say that forums and blogs are playing one of the vital role in sharing the knowledge and to communicate with each other.

    ReplyDelete