My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Merry Christmas, everyone!


December already, man where does time go? I've been running around trying to do a little Christmas shopping. Even turned on some Christmas music for the first time today. The outside pond is totally froze over, now. Except for my small hole that is. Suppose to get below zero for the first time this weekend also. I hate this time of the year outside in the ponds. Again, the fish are under the ice. Away for their long winter nap. I know its not the most ideal situation to leave fish outside, but until I figure out a way to limit my compulsions for too many fish, the inside pond will only hold so many. We brought in fish in late October, so almost been 2 full months already for the inside fish. I was already having some ulcer issues late last fall, which made me bring in more fish than my inside pond should be holding. Since October, I have treated with Proform C and Prazi on all the inside fish. Trying to make sure they are clean. I've feed medicated food for about a month but now on regular food. I am also presently treating with Nitrofuracin Green. Its an antibacterial, antifungus water treatment. I still have several fish with ulcers that are not healing. A few have minor fin and mouth sores also. Since I use a flow through or constant water drip, I've been pretty much able to maintain water quality. Only low levels of both ammonia and nitrites. But still, probably enough to keep a little stress on the fish. Water temps in the pond are probably my biggest problem. Even being inside, 70 is about as high as I can get the water temp. And, that is probably 5-10 degrees too cold. And, probably why the ulcers won't clear. I have lost 3 fish since bringing them in. Which didn't surprise me, but makes me sad and angry both. I still have at least 4 months to go! It's going to be a long and hard winter. I don't know what else now to do. There is just no where else to put the fish. I know they are overcrowded, but got to work with what I have. So am just praying everything I do is enough. To be continued.... Have a merry Christmas everybody. Hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment