My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Got snow?







Happy New Year, everybody. Temps here in good ole Iowa have been pretty consistently in the teens and twenty's. Christmas eve brought me and additional 11 inches of snow at home. That's on top of the 6-8 that was already on the ground. About as deep as I can recall in a long time. Harry's been out two or three times to dig out the floating light so that the weight of the snow doesn't push it into the water. He also takes the snow off one end of the pond to allow a little sun light in. Otherwise the whole thing would be drifted in with about 3 feet of snow on it!! The aerator does continue to keep a hole open so Harry will not venture even close to that end. The fish had moved to the light. They were holding up close to the filter house (on opposite ends of the pond) but I think when snow covered the pond they swam to the light. It's suppose to rain and even get into the 40's possibly this week. If it gets this warm, we'll probably even try to do a water change out there. Dropping in the pump and running a hose from the water faucet. The fog has been creating the most beautiful frosted white trees and bushes out there. Have you noticed? It's actually quiet gorgeous out there. The snow has completely blanketed the yard, transforming it into this lumpy white foam covered landscape. I can make out forms and know what is causing them, but they are safely cocooned under their coats. A rabbit that I think lives under the deck is making tracks across the yard. They come into the yard and go to a new tree that I wrapped loosely just to keep the winter wind off it. I can only imagine that he has probably eating all the bark off it by now. I didn't wrap the trunk to protect that. His tracks leave the tree and then run across the yard to another lump in the snow. I figured out that was where our little fire pit (sits on legs) is sitting. It was creating a little snow cave for him. So he must be spending some time under it also. The birds are once again finding the feeders. Something we enjoy doing all winter. Hopefully we can keep the squirrels away this year. Fish in the basement are doing about the same. No change there, which is good news to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment