My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Monday, May 3, 2010

Finally the fish are out!

Finally we got the koi out of the basement and into the ponds! After about 4 consecutive days in the low 70's, I felt like the pond was close enough to the basement pond temps to put the fish out. I began the day by vacuuming the ponds. Harry blew the filters and settling chambers. Millions and millions of toad eggs were everywhere. They have been particularly loud all week. And non-stop too. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and could hear them out there. (Even with the windows closed) I worried that the neighbors would be complaining, but they have always been pretty cool about my ponds and the noise I make. I recently bumped into one of the neighbors that walks her dogs early in the morning. She said she got close to the house and could hear water running someplace. It didn't dawn on her that it was my waterfalls. Said she was embarrassed to say, she was looking all over for the problem area. Looked in the manholes and everywhere listening for the source of the gushing water. She just knew it was a water pipe broke someplace. Finally, her ears traced the noise to my yard. Which, she knows I have the ponds, so she said she felt so stupid. But, they had been off for nearly 4 months; she wasn't used to hearing them again. We laughed together.
So anyway, it's nice to see life in the upper, smaller, pond again. It's the pond I can see from my kitchen table. Of course the GFCI wouldn't work. It showed signs of definitely burning up. So, Harry will have to replace it. I've had several GFCI ( Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) burn up on me. They don't just trip they turn black and I've even had them melt down. Guess they are doing their job, but I'm always glad they are outside!! And, I never know the cause. Whatever I plug into them seems ok. So the extension cord is strung across the pond to run the aerator till I can get Harry to replace the plug. Which he won't like, cause it's a tight place with plants all around and he knows I'll yell at him for stepping on them. So, he'll loudly cuss them and maybe even me under his breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment