My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Meet some of the gang.


This is a picture of most of the fish that wintered over outside. There are 11 out there at the moment and I plan on adding maybe 4 or 5 from the basement pond to these, while the rest of the basement fish will go into the smaller pond. That should divided them up pretty evenly by numbers at least. Every day I look at the outside thermometer hoping the temps are slightly above 60, but just no go. The basement pond read 70 degrees this morning. I'd like them to be at least fairly close. I read where others are turning fish out for spawning already because their temps have moved close together. It was May 3rd last year before I got mine out and at the rate I'm going will be that late again this year. About the time we get a couple warm days to get things moving, then we get a few cold nights again. And so it goes. I'm still in a holding pattern. The fish have had a great stay in the basement pond this winter. Not even once have I did a water change and forgot I was doing it! In years past, I've drained the entire pond before I remembered I had opened the drain. But, actually I've never killed anyone doing that. Mainly because the pond will pool about 1/2 inch of water in one corner. It has saved me a couple times. Why once I began a water change at night after dinner and didn't remember it till I got to work the next day. I left work in a panic and in tears, but they were all ok. Regardless, there have been no terrifying incidents this winter. (Knock on wood)

None of these fish have names except maybe the Showa at the bottom. And don't ask me what it is, cause it's one that the grandkids named and only Harry can remember what it was. Objectively looking at the fish, the Sanke (3 colored) fish clear to the left, may go down the road at the end of this season if it doesn't improve. It's a nice enough fish, but doesn't seem to want to grow. The Showa (3 colored with black on his face) at the bottom of the group may go down the road also. Showa are usually slow to mature in coloration, that's why he has made the watch list.

I pledged to get rid of a fish everytime I add a new one. So, fish that don't change or do change often get put on our "watch list". The big Bekko(White with black spots) while not a great looking fish is exempt cause we've had her for a long time so she's grandfathered in. Also, note that on the Sanke at the bottom of the picture beside the Soigoi (grey fish.) I notice she has a little red spot just behind her gill plate. This is a sore not a spot. I haven't done anything about it yet, but got my eye on it. I'm hoping she'll heal herself. If it gets worse at all, I'll net her out and hit it with some iodine. Looks like she lost a scale there. Harry said there were 2 scales at the bottom of the tank when he cleaned the pond. I'm wondering if that is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment