My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

elephant ear bloosoms???




This morning as I went through my normal routine of feeding the fish and cat, I happened to glance over and notice that my elephant ear actually had a bloom on it. In the fall, I usually simply cut off all the huge leaves and dig up the bulbs, but I had one particularly large plant and didn't have the heart to cut it, so I dug it up, leaves and all, dumped the whole thing in a 5 gallon bucket and put it in my living room for the winter. It has continued to produce a couple large leaves at a time throughout the whole winter. I don't believe I have ever seen my elephant ears bloom. I didn't know they did. I just thought they threw off little baby bulbs at the roots and that's how they multiplied. So I snapped a couple pictures to share. Have you ever seen your elephant ears bloom? This is the type of elephant ear that holds it's leaves upright. I know "elephant ear" is a real general term, I never have been one of those people that knows all the Latin names for things. Sorry.... they are pretty common though.

No comments:

Post a Comment