My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Monday, February 22, 2010

The aquarium looks like egg drop soup!!!

I'm back! Costa Rica was absolutely wonderful. 90 degrees, fun, and food. What can I say. I needed all weekend just to rest up. Zip lining, white water tubing, river boat touring, deep sea fishing...not much time to rest. I was glad to be home, however. February is a good time to be away from all the ponds and gardens, but still plenty to worry about. My son, Gabe, watches over things for me, but I still worry. Got home late Thursday. I have to tell you about something that did happen over the weekend though. Grand kids...you got to love them don't you? Mine are no exception. The youngest of 3 boys is 2. That should explain a lot. Well, they came over with their parents on Friday night for a fish fry of all things. Something we do quiet often though, because Harry and all the family are avid fishermen. So, we adults are in the kitchen just visiting and dinner is close to being on the table, when Ian (5) came running into the kitchen to say "Grandma! Grandma! Andy just fed the fish way too much food!!!" So, I walk into the living room to see the large aquarium is totally full of flake food!! I looks like egg drop soup!! He has dumped a complete quart container of flake food into the aquarium. I can't see the electric yellow cichlids from the yellow flakes churning everywhere in the tank!!! Yep...it's 8 o'clock at night and the whole thing has to be emptied and replaced. Ian is hiding behind the chair. My other son, Zach ask him what is wrong, he (Ian) didn't do anything wrong so he didn't have to hide. Ian replies that he just doesn't like it! It's just not right! We reassured him that it will be OK, we just have to clean it up. Andy sheepishly tells me "Sorry Grandma", which I accept without a second thought. The aquarium actually needed a good cleaning, I had just been putting it off since its a huge job by yourself. Now I had 2 sons helping me!! So the strategy is to get the wet vac and just suck it all out. Hopefully not sucking up any small fish. So out came the bad water. Zach would haul each tub out to the deck and dump it, then refill and repeat. We netted out the fish and held them in a bucket till we finished. Then we ran a hose up from the basement to rinse and re-vac again several times. Finally, we bucketed up water from the basement pond to actually refill the aquarium. The aquarium has not been this clean for a long time and I believe everyone even survived (the fish I mean, well us too). We may have sucked up a couple baby fish, but that is OK with me, as they multiply rapidly. Hopefully in a week or so they don't all get sick from the stress we put on them. We'll hide and hope for the best. Welcome home, uh?

No comments:

Post a Comment