My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More thoughts on pumps.....

Well for the first time since Dec. 25th the temps have reached above 30 degrees. As I stepped out from work I heard the familiar sound of water splashing in the street. As I drove to restaurant row to find some lunch, I was forced to use the wipers and fluid 3 times in the half mile jaunt. While I'm definitely glad the sub zero temps have passed for the mean time; the mud, water, and salt baths my vehicle must take just add to my further disdain of Winter. As a roofing contractor its good for business, don't get me wrong. The ice dams, plugged drains, and leaks are part of our winter bread and butter business. But I hate the dirty looking snow and tracked on floors that also accommodate this seasonal ritual. On the bright side the sun is shining. My outside pond can surely use the additional solar heat. The inside pond remains quiet, with no new occurrences of pumps failing. Speaking of pumps, I've been using a brand of pond pump that can be easily found at Menards. (With the exception of the 2 bigger Sequence pumps in the pump house) But, to run my stream and QT tanks, I've been using these smaller less expensive pumps. I started using them because if they failed I could easily take them back to Menards and get them replaced in the same day. They are inexpensive but come with a 2 year warranty. Which is a good thing because they almost always fail before then. I have learnt to always save the box and receipt. What they lack for quality they surely make up for with service. I guess I could spend more and maybe get a better pump, but all pumps fail (and usually without notice and when you need them the most). So instead of having to call for parts and wait for UPS or have to order a new pump by phone or over the Internet and wait for delivery, I have decided its just easier and more convenient to just get them locally. And even though its an inconvenience to have to continually return pumps, it hasn't cost me a dime for a smaller pump in years. A better pump would outlive its warranty and I'd have to buy a new one every few years. Understand my logic here? The only catch is they are a seasonal item at Menards, meaning you can't get one off the shelf in December. The last pump to fail in my basement pond was due to the notched center hole of the propeller wearing out. Since I couldn't go directly to the store and get a replacement I decided to call the company for a replacement part. To my surprise, instead of a new part, they sent me a whole new pump. All's I had to do was fax a receipt. No bad part or proof or anything. Needless to say, I was very pleased. (If I wanted to be really deceitful, I could box up the bad pump, wait another month till Menards restocked for the new season and get another free pump.) But, I won't. I'm just pleased with the quick and easy service. Still had to wait for UPS, so in the case of an emergency, I would of had to wait for a replacement. But, all in all, I'm pleased and will both recommend the pumps and keep using them myself. Its all about the service.
Weatherman just said its 41 degrees out. Its a heat wave by golly!

1 comment:

  1. I get the same pumps from Menards. what can u tell us about koi pox. dangerous cureable.preventable?

    ReplyDelete