My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.

My Pond-a place to relax and reflect.
Fall is here! Already......

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tis the Season!



Its the end of November already and the weather has been pretty awesome so far. In fact, Thanksgiving day they are calling for lower 60's. Water temps in the outside ponds have been in the mid 40s in the lower pond and staying close to a steady 50 in the covered new pond. I did wake up a couple mornings to find ice on the quiet stream area. But, no measurable snow, which is just fine with me. Fish in the basement seem to be doing fine so far. I know I'm way overstocked down there, but the drip through water seems to be helping so far. Its been over a month now since we brought them inside. This is the mark where I start getting a little nervous about them breaking out with something. I'm feeding them some mandafu soaked in a vitamin water concoction I mix up. They seem to enjoy it, so am hopeful it will help boost their immune systems while being so crowded. The fish in the open lower pond, seem OK so far, too. They are doing their normal fall/winter behavior. Harry has the stream blocked off already so they can't go up into the shallow/colder water. We'll probably put in the heater and after Thanksgiving shut down the water falls and pull the pumps down there, also. We'll turn down the air to just a trickle and pray for the best as winter will surely come with full force shortly. The new above ground pond is totally experimental. I'm hoping that it will not freeze and that I won't have to use a heater in it at all. That's my hopes for the winter covering. We'll see, I'll give updated reports as to how its behaving. Just don't want the pipes to freeze. I feel like I have fish just everywhere! 3 ponds and 1 aquarium, seems like a hand full. Hate the thought of winter coming. I have something going on every weekend till after xmas already! Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment